Friday 1 January 2021

Creature Hud Tinting

Happy new year everyone! If you've ever seen the old beta screenshots of Creatures 3 you might've noticed that the norn heads in the creature GUI are tinted - even though in the final game this isn't a feature! 

Well, turns out it IS a feature, but it is disabled by default and for good reason too!

When digging through the DS cos files with the idea of engineering this into the game myself, I stumbled upon the unused feature...

I experimented with this a bit in-game but it was a bit tricky to get it working. I tried changing the game value in the CAOS command line and RGAMming it, but it still wasn't quite working. Killing the UI for it to respawn would set the game value back to 0, so I had to edit the cos itself to get it working.

Unfortunately though, even on newer technology this really does lagspike the game every few seconds. Not just that, but it only successfully works on its first iteration. Every time it updates the tinted heads, it somehow fails to do so and results in all of the heads not displaying at all in the window, as seen to the right.

Either way I felt this was an interesting enough cut feature to write about and demonstrate. I'm going to be trying to at minimum get a post on this blog once every week so I don't leave all of you hanging again.

And finally, I will leave you with an image from the Creatures 3 beta of this feature in action:

No comments:

Post a Comment